The Library was built during the gold rush in 1861. As in other parts of the building, there is real gold on the walls and ceilings.
There are approximately 50,000 books in the library. The oldest work in the Library is Palladius’ Dell’Agricoltura, published in Venice in 1538.
The central reading table was carved in 1862 and designed by architect Peter Kerr. It is made from cedar and Victorian blackwood from the Dandenong Ranges.
Originally hung in the Legislative Council and run on gas, the chandelier was moved to the Library in 1929. Every year it is lowered to the level of the table and its 2000 pieces of crystal are cleaned, piece by piece.